One in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. However, when caught in its earliest stages, the five-year relative survival rate for breast cancer is 99 percent.
Thanks to advancements in technology, breast cancer can be caught earlier than ever before. This is where the SonoCine Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound (SonoCine AWBUS™) comes in. Offered by our leading radiology facility in Pasadena, CA, SonoCine AWBUS is a computer-guided ultrasound system that can be used as a complement to a traditional mammogram.
AWBUS utilizes a robotic process designed to capture thousands of high-resolution images in rows, which are then pieced together into a movie by powerful software that is readable by a radiologist. This “movie” provides great visual detail of breast tissue, especially for women with dense breast tissue or implants, allowing radiologists to detect small invasive cancers earlier than would be possible on traditional mammograms.
The Accuracy of AWBUS
SonoCine AWBUS technology is 300 percent more accurate than mammography when it comes to detecting small (1cm or less) invasive cancers. AWBUS is especially beneficial for women with dense breast tissue or implants, conditions that can make it difficult to produce clear images using standard imaging and mammography techniques.
This technology provides greater visual detail of breast tissue, providing an extra level of detection in women with dense breast tissue or in women with implants where mammograms typically have difficulty providing clear images.
The SonoCine AWBUS examination provides whole breast coverage, including the underarm, clavicle, between the breasts, the sides of the breasts, and back to the chest wall. It has been FDA-cleared for all dense-breasted women, women who have implants, and women who have had breast interventions in the past, such as a biopsy, mastectomy, or lumpectomy.
AWBUS can connect to any ultrasound, relying on the latest ultrasound imaging technology that uses simple sound waves. This option is very safe for the patient, as it requires no injections, radiation, or compression. Read more here about how SonoCiné compares with competing technology.
Early detection is crucial when it comes to effectively managing breast cancer because it allows for timely intervention and boosts the chances of successful treatment. SonoCine Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound (AWBUS) is an advanced imaging technology that offers many benefits in the early detection of breast cancer, such as:
- Increased sensitivity: AWBUS offers an additional imaging modality that’s highly sensitive to any breast abnormalities, with the ability to detect small lesions that may not show up on traditional mammograms. With this enhanced sensitivity, SonoCine AWBUS can identify potential cancerous lesions earlier when they are smaller and more easily treatable.
- No radiation: Mammography uses X-rays, but AWBUS does not. This is good news for women who are worried about the potential risks that come with repeated exposure to radiation. Instead of x-rays, AWBUS uses ultrasound waves to create detailed breast tissue images, resulting in a safer imaging option that can be performed many times with no radiation-related concerns.
- Enhanced image clarity: AWBUS creates high-resolution images of the whole breast and surrounding areas, allowing radiologists to more accurately detect and analyze abnormalities. This is made possible by an automated scanning process that ensures consistent image quality while minimizing human errors during the exam.
- Improved detection: Breast density is basically the proportion of glandular and fibrous tissue as compared with fatty tissue. Dense breast tissue makes it more difficult to spot abnormalities using just mammography. SonoCine AWBUS, on the other hand, isn’t affected by breast density. Instead, it gives radiologists a clear view of the breast tissue so they can more easily identify potential cancers that could be obscured by dense breast tissue as seen on mammograms.
- Better patient comfort: Women find this non-invasive imaging technique more comfortable than other procedures. Thanks to the use of gel and a handheld transducer, there is no discomfort like you would feel with breast compression during a mammogram.
- Screening for high-risk women: AWBUS is an invaluable screening tool for at-risk women, providing a complementary method of early detection that boosts the chances of finding cancerous lesions at an earlier stage.
Book Your AWBUS at the Sono Center Today
We would be happy to sit down with you and discuss the technology behind AWBUS and the many benefits that come with it. Please book your appointment online for SonoCine AWBUS today and visit our leading radiology facility located at 960 E Green St #166 in Pasadena, CA, where we specialize in breast screening and the early detection of breast cancers that are most frequently missed with mammography. Give us a call at 626-381-9430.
Disclaimer: The content provided in this blog is intended for general informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.